Housing Assistance

In larger disasters, N.C. Emergency Management works with local areas and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). The two agencies work to find short-term and long-term temporary housing for people displaced by the disaster. A number of state and federal programs can help those people that qualify find safe, secure and clean housing. These programs work with people while their homes are fixed or rebuilt.

Who is Able to Get Help: Renters and homeowners in any of the disaster-impacted counties declared for federal Individual Assistance. Others ways that people who need help after a disaster can get this help is if you do not have insurance or if your policy does not cover temporary rentals. You will need to apply for this help. Note: the home must be the person's main home.

Housing Solutions

Temporary rental assistance

Qualified people can get financial aid for rental help for two months. They are sent to rentals that are, preferably, near their damaged homes. There maybe extra help for those who still need help after the first two months.

Transitional Shelter Assistance

Certain areas may have a shortage of rentals. People who cannot live in their homes but cannot get into rentals can stay in hotels or motels for a limited time. This is only while FEMA looks for other available short-term rentals. The state and federal government pays the hotel bill is paid on behalf of the people. To be able to get help, people must first apply for federal help through FEMA and meet the following:

  • They must be able to get for federal disaster help, and
  • The person's main home must be in one of the counties where the transitional shelter program has been activated.

Temporary Housing Units

Two types of made housing (2 or 3 bedroom models) may be put in as a last resort in areas with very limited rentals. Both models come with all of the furniture, a stove, refrigerator and microwave oven. To speed the recovery process, the houses will be put in for a short time period on a person's property, or as close as possible. This means that people can fix or rebuild their homes. To get this help, people must sign up with FEMA.

Disaster Housing

The Disaster Housing program works with qualified people and families to fix or replace homes that were damaged or destroyed in a federal- or state-declared disaster. Program funding is given through a special appropriation from the N.C. General Assembly through the Crisis Housing Assistance Fund for key unmet needs. How To Apply:People who need a place to live while repairs are made on their homes should sign up with FEMA for help. The ways to sign up are:

  • Calling the FEMA helpline number is 800-621-3362 or TTY at 800-462-7585
  • Registering online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov or at FEMA.gov by using a tablet.
  • Visiting a disaster recovery center to get face-to-face assistance. To find the nearest center, go to the DRC locator.